If you’ve been to a Nekter Juice Bar you’ve seen our bright pink smoothie and smoothie bowls, right? Ever wonder what it is that makes it so bright? It’s a fruit called, Pitaya which is also known as Dragon Fruit. It comes from the more tropical regions like South America and Asia. It’s name “Dragon Fruit” comes from it’s outer skin. It is pink and cactus-like and resembles the scales of a “dragon.” This pink dragon packs a healthy punch and we love it! Here are a few of our favorite things about this funky looking fruit!
- Reduces signs of Aging. We all want to stay youthful looking right? Well Dragon Fruit is so rich in antioxidants that help your skin stay tight and firm. We’ve even used it as a face mask mixed with honey. It leaves the skin feeling amazing!
- Dragon fruit helps you break down food because it has zero complex carbs. It’s also extremely high in Vitamin B and it’s black seeds have an oil that help regulate your intestines. It helps you rid your body of waste.
- Helps improve eyesight when eaten regularly. That’s pretty amazing stuff, right?!
- Helps fight against Diabetes. There is a ton of fiber in dragon fruit which helps to stabilize your blood sugar levels and in turn can help regulate diabetes.
- It’s great for your hair! It’s actually great for chemically treated hair (like color). Adding dragon fruit juice to your conditioner helps keep your hair follicles open and breathing and keeps the color in your hair lasting longer. *So we can keep those beachy highlights a little longer.
- It’s great for your heart. Anything heart healthy we love! Dragon fruit is a great source of monounsaturated fats. These are the good fats and they’re so much better for you than trans fats!
If you’re looking for a great way to beat the heat, you should definitely stop by your local Nekter for a Pink Flamingo or one of our Pitaya bowls, they’re both delicious! If you’re looking for other great superfoods to incorporate into your diet, check out why we love coconut so much!
*Photo by: Smart Cooky