School is out and vacations are planned which means summer is officially in full swing. Whether you’ve planned a beach day with the kids or are packing for a trip, snacks need to be handy. You may think it’s easy to reach for the bags of chips or fruit snacks because they’re already packaged but they can be so high in fat and sugars all of which are not good for anyone especially the kiddos. There are healthy options – we promise and we’ve rounded up our faves (well… the kids faves) right here. Whether they need a pick-me-up between water games or something to munch on during the long drive to grandma & grandpa’s house these are sure to be a hit.
- Blend plain greek yogurt with blueberries, or strawberries and fill that mixture into ice trays
- Let them freeze for a couple of hours & you’ll have a deliciously healthy & fun snack
Apple Cookie Bites
- Slice your apple from top to bottom (stem down) into thin slices about ⅛ inch thick.
- Spread nut butter on the slices (we prefer fresh almond butter) and then sprinkle with cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips
- You can also add coconut flakes or granola
- Remove the leaves from the stem
- Lay them flat on a baking sheet
- Brush olive oil over the leaves and sprinkle salt & pepper over the leaves
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes
- We like to sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over them as seen here (if you add cheese bake them for an additional 5 minutes)
Chocolate Covered Banana Bites with Almond Butter
- Slice up a banana
- Spread almond butter between two slices (like a little sandwich)
- Dip half of that sandwich into melted dark chocolate
- Place them all on a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Freeze for an hour
Cookie Cutter Cheese & Fruit Shapes
- Kids love a fun shape and will be likelier to eat their snacks if they come in fun shapes like stars, hearts, letters, flowers & cars.
- Shape your fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers) and cheese slices into fun shapes for your kids
Nekter Juice Bar FTW
- You can always stop by your local Nekter Juice Bar for some fresh smoothies & juices for the kiddos
- Our acai & pitaya bowls are also a delicious snack option and big enough to share